load balancing - email server

Oliver Brandmueller ob at e-Gitt.NET
Thu Apr 28 00:25:19 PDT 2005

Hello.

On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 02:31:38PM +1300, Sam Kava wrote:
> I am planning to setup a load balancing server to allow 3 pop servers to
> share access to my mail server. Read the postings but nobody really
> touch this subject. Appreciate any help, hopefully someone has done this
> using freebsd.

The mail storage format should be Maildir - which is NFS safe. Access to
Maildir mailboxes by pop can be accomplished by courier-imap (it has a
POP component) or the dovecot imap/pop server. I have both running in a
single setup (for access to different mailboxes). The dir with the
mailboxes can then simply be mounted from an NFS server. You should
think about a shared authentication mechanism; we use LDAP for that.

It's quite simple. We even use more than one SMTP Server to handle
incoming mails in this setup. Lodabalncing is done by an Alteon 180e in
front of the machines (currently 3, soon to be 5).

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |