courier-imap

Christian Damm christian.damm at diewebmaster.at
Wed Apr 20 14:08:07 PDT 2005

Odhiambo Washington schrieb:
> Hello Sysadmins,
>
> Does anyone have any clues as to how I can easily limit access to my
> imapd daemon to just a few hosts?
> I am running courier-imap but looking at /etc/inetd.conf, I don't
> see how I could put it in there and hence use hosts.allow to control
> access. Google has not helped much, but again I may be searching using
> wrong keyword.

1.) you can use the courier-suites own tcp server (quite similar to the
DJB tcp server), 'couriertcpd' - look into the manpage, it is able to do
ip restrictions and much more.

2.) dont know if it is possible to compile courier imap aginst libwrap
and use the tcp wrapper (hosts.allow).

3.) i would not start courier imap via inetd/xinetd - courier imap was
developed to be a stanalone imap daemon running within the
courier-suite/framework...sure, you could use tcp wrapper without probs
when using inetd/xinetd but there are better solutions than using one of
the "super servers" *urghh*.

4.) use the packet filter on your border router/gateway/firewall or
firewall the host directly via ipfw/ipf/pf to restrict access.

--

mfg.

christian damm
technische leitung
phone: dw 42
email: christian.damm at diewebmaster.at
icq at work: 124464652

die webmaster - flötzerweg 156 - 4030 linz - austria

phone: +43-732-381242
fax: +43-732-381242-22
isdn (leonardo): +43-732-381242-33

homepage: www.diewebmaster.at, public email: office at diewebmaster.at