Updating FreeBSD

Scott Muller smuller at netcommplete.com.au
Mon Apr 11 20:27:12 PDT 2005

Kris McElroy wrote:
> First things I am a newb to FreeBSD and have made strides coming from
> windows.  There are a few things that I am unsure about, or need some
> direction on.
>
> I am currently running: FreeBSD 4.11-RELEASE #0 and I would like to make
> sure that it is up to date with all the necessary patches, security fixes,
> etc...   I have read up on CVSup but I am unclear of how to actually use it.
> Can someone give me some examples?  I do not have any xwindow systems
> installed, command line only.

Kris,

have a look in  /usr/share/examples/cvsup for same example files on
running cvsup. man cvsup is also useful. here is an example supfile

*default host=cvsup2.au.freebsd.org
*default base=/usr
*default prefix=/usr
*default release=cvs tag=RELENG_5_3
*default delete use-rel-suffix
*default compress
ports-all tag=.
src-all

This will update src and ports. Change the release
and host tags to suit. have a look at
/usr/ports/sysutils/fastest_cvsup port to help
locate the fastest cvsup server.

Run cvsup like so

cvsup -g -L 2 /patch/to/supfile

and you can watch the files that get updated etc.
To update your system check the handbook as well
as the README and UPDATING files in /usr/src

HTH

--

Scott Muller