mail software for freebsd

Christian Damm christian.damm at diewebmaster.at
Fri Apr 8 01:07:33 PDT 2005

Bikrant Neupane schrieb:
> We have been using qpsmtpd in our mx for almost 2 years now. It is written in
> perl and is modular but resource utilization is very high in terms of cpu and
> memory usage.
>
> It checks for:
>
> early talkers
> spam helo
> max limit to unrecognized commands
> dns resolve
> tarpit limit
> badmailfrom
> badrcptto
> dnsbl
> recipient verification from radius for local domains
> spamassassin
> grey listing
>
> and lot more.
>
> By using above filters I have been able to filter out more than 70% of the
> mails that my MX receives. And some modules can reject mails just by reading
> the mail headers even before getting the data. This does save bandwidth on my
> link. Qpsmtpd finally delivers the mail to qmail-queue. However I have
> patched qmail to integrate it with qmail-scanner. Qmail-scanner then calls
> clamdscan which checks for virus with the clamd running on another server.
>
> But obviously this system is not fast!!! and is heavy on resources and that's
> the only issue I have. User validity check against radius is the main feature
> for which we are using qpsmtpd.
>
> Can you one suggest me a better mta than this with all those features :)

if you are looking for an extremely fast, stable, secure and scalable
MTA with top notch anti-spam features out of the box, go with postfix -
you wont regret it...all of the anti ube/uce stuff you mentioned above
is possible with postfix (some of them with a little bit of tweaking)
because of postfix`s very modular architecture.

--

mfg.

christian damm
technische leitung
phone: dw 42
email: christian.damm at diewebmaster.at
icq at work: 124464652

die webmaster - flötzerweg 156 - 4030 linz - austria
phone: +43-732-381242, fax: +43-732-381242-22, isdn (leonardo):
+43-732-381242-33
homepage: www.diewebmaster.at, public email: office at diewebmaster.at