funny customers

Keith Baldwin keith at southo.net
Wed Sep 22 08:23:15 PDT 2004

Didn't see it posted yet so here.

>From http://www.daemonnews.org/200108/security-howto.html in the Local
Security section:

"Lets begin with /etc/ttys. Open it up in your favorite editor and find the
console line:

console none			unknown off secure

Change "secure" to "insecure", so the user is asked for the root password
when going to single user mode. Be warned this will also make recovering
lost root passwords more difficult, But it will prevent someone from gaining
root access to your machine locally provided they do not have a boot disk."

Regards,
Keith