funny customers

Dimitri Aivaliotis dna at everyware.ch
Wed Sep 22 07:51:26 PDT 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 16:34:41 +0200 (CEST)
"Per Engelbrecht" <per at xterm.dk> wrote:

> Keeping in mind that alle the data from / down are important, the
> standard procedure adding_a_disk won't work due to the dd part.
> A simple mount (finding disk from dmesg) didn't work eighter ..
> Both running system and disk use UFS2.
>
> Maybe I'm overlooking the obvious, but what besides the above would do
> the trick ?

Have you tried dump/restore?

(see http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/disks.html#NEW-HUGE-DISK)

You'll be wanting the reverse of what's given here, or some variant.

1) Use either a LiveCD, or another FreeBSD box with an extra disk.

2) Use fdisk and disklabel to set-up the extra disk like the one on your customer's machine.

3) Install the disk from the customer's machine.

4) Mount both disks in appropriate places:

 /dev/(blank)s1a on /mnt/copy/
 /dev/(blank)s1f on /mnt/copy/usr
 /dev/(blank)s1d on /mnt/copy/var

 and

 /dev/(cust)s1a on /mnt/customer/
 /dev/(cust)s1f on /mnt/customer/usr
 /dev/(cust)s1d on /mnt/customer/var

 (adapt to your slice layout and disk device)

5) dump & restore:

  cd /mnt/copy
  dump 0af - /mnt/customer/ | restore xf -

This will take awhile, depending on the size & speed of each of the disks.

Good luck!

- Dimitri

--
Dimitri Aivaliotis