Bandwidth accounting

Dimitri Aivaliotis dna at everyware.ch
Fri Sep 17 08:18:40 PDT 2004

On Fri, 17 Sep 2004 16:06:17 +0100
Simon Dick <simond at irrelevant.org> wrote:

> Has anyone got any recommendations what tool I could use to measure a
> customers total bandwidth usage per month via SNMP on a cisco/netgear
> switch? I currently use my own script but I don't quite trust it to be
> accurate enough for real use, thanks in advance!

I'm trying out RTG (http://rtg.sourceforge.net) right now, and have had some good experiences with it.  It's got an SQL (my or Postgre) backend, so you can do more complex queries than you could with an RRD-based solution because it doesn't average out the data already stored.

I've also heard some good things about RRFW (http://rrfw.sourceforge.net/), which does use an RRD-based backend, if that's where you'd like to head.

- Dimitri

--
Dimitri Aivaliotis