src update without console access

Patrik Forsberg patrik.forsberg at dataphone.net
Mon Sep 13 04:25:20 PDT 2004

> >> When running 'installworld',  'mergemaster -p' and 'mergemaster'
> >> the server needs to be in single-user mode.
> >
> > Not necessarily. Depending on the secure level, multi-user works
> > as well.

This is what I ment.. I'm usaly connected throw a ssh connection.

> That sound reasonable enough, but also seems a little odd taking my
> test-upgrade on a live customer-server in consideration
> [kern.securelevel: -1]
> I'll try again. Something must have gone wrong.

Yes.. something.. did you check the output of your installworld so
nothing went wrong on the way ?

> > Although, if one cvsups from 4.10 to 5.x, I still need to find
> > a way without the single-user step.
>
> I would never  advice customers to cvsup between branches. When 5.3 is
> released, it will be a "new" installation that we offer.

Well.. not to say to much but I've done a cvsup upgrade from
5.2.1-RELEASE-p9 to 5.3-BETA2 connected throw a ssh and that went,
almost, without any trouble.. but I guess you really need to know what
to expect if you do this and also have ether a test server and/or a
level-0 backup..

//patrik