src update without console access

Per Engelbrecht per at xterm.dk
Mon Sep 13 04:02:08 PDT 2004

Hi Kurt

>> When running 'installworld',  'mergemaster -p' and 'mergemaster'
>> the server needs to be in single-user mode.
>
> Not necessarily. Depending on the secure level, multi-user works
> as well.

That sound reasonable enough, but also seems a little odd taking my
test-upgrade on a live customer-server in consideration
[kern.securelevel: -1]
I'll try again. Something must have gone wrong.

> Although, if one cvsups from 4.10 to 5.x, I still need to find
> a way without the single-user step.

I would never  advice customers to cvsup between branches. When 5.3 is
released, it will be a "new" installation that we offer.

Thank you for the advice Kurt.

respectfully
/per
per at xterm.dk