Performance RAID setup...

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Wed Sep 1 13:44:17 PDT 2004

On Sep 1, 2004, at 10:38, Mitch (bitblock) wrote:
> The new board supports "HOSTRAID" - not sure what that is, but neither
> is
> anyone at intel support ;-)

Adaptec HostRAID is not supported in FreeBSD as of now.  I believe that
HostRAID really means that the OS driver does all the work. The fact
that the Linux driver is closed source supports this.

> SRCZCRX seems most appropriate for me. My goal - after discussion and
> feedback from the list is to run RAID mirror sets of 10K scsi
> drives... so
> hardware xor speed isn't important - it's quite a basic setup.
>
> If I use the old generation boards, the SCRZCR will be appropriate -
> but it
> doesn't work - except on the beta? So the hope of seeing the SCRZCR
> work is
> slim eh?

I do believe it works fine, the only problem was with the "storcon"
management utility, not with anything else.

I will have the chance to test SRCZCR on a SE7501WV2 board soon and
will get back to you with the results.

Mvh,
Frode