Performance RAID setup...

Mitch (bitblock) mitch at bitblock.com
Wed Sep 1 01:38:44 PDT 2004

> I had problems with storcon on FreeBSD 5.2.x using SRCU32 and SRC42L,
> but it works again now under 5.3-BETA, so I guess this was a unwanted
> ABI change or similar now corrected.
>
> The iir driver is nice and verbose and tells you what is going on if
> something happens (using dmesg / var/log/messages)

With the new 800Mhz FSB Xeon's around the corner (well released, I just
can't get one yet) I'm hoping I can take advantage of the faster hardware...
I wrote an email to the people mentioned in the iir man page asking for
clarity on the supported hardware etc, and didn't get a response... The fact
that you are seeing change is a good thing... SOMEONE is doing something to
the code - does anyone know who?

If I get the new gear, I could set up remote console access so that the
appropriate person could work on it... that level of C is well beyond me,
but I figure providing access to the gear would help - does anyone know who
to communicate with?

The new boards SE7520JR2 don't support / aren't certified / recommended with
some of the older storage controllers... I could use it with an adaptec -
but that seems like a crime when there such neat offerings from Intel with
such impressive specs.

The new board supports "HOSTRAID" - not sure what that is, but neither is
anyone at intel support ;-)

I've seen references to adaptec, but the controllers on board are LSI
Logic - not adaptec.

The compatibility matrix:
http://www.intel.com/design/servers/buildingblocks/boardsmatrix.htm

Seems to indicate SRCS16, SCRZCRX, and SRCU42X are compatible options...

SRCS16 is a SATA raid controller....
SRCU42X seems like it's over the top for my needs... the most expensive
one...

SRCZCRX seems most appropriate for me. My goal - after discussion and
feedback from the list is to run RAID mirror sets of 10K scsi drives... so
hardware xor speed isn't important - it's quite a basic setup.

If I use the old generation boards, the SCRZCR will be appropriate - but it
doesn't work - except on the beta? So the hope of seeing the SCRZCR work is
slim eh?

So - how do I get to the people who can tell me if it's supported? Or so I
can get them the resources to debug?

Or should I just stick to a ADAPTEC 2120S or a LSI 3201064KIT MEGARAID
U320-1?

Thanks again!

m/