Problems with rc.subr and suid script

Frode Nordahl frode at nordahl.net
Fri Oct 29 00:31:39 PDT 2004

On Oct 28, 2004, at 21:51, Eric W. Bates wrote:

> I've written a CGI which is calling /usr/local/rc.d/squid.sh in an
> attempt to start/stop the proxy.  Stopping works fine; however,
> whenever I try to start it I'm having permissions problems.
>
> It seems as tho rc.subr is using RUID instead of EUID.
>
> The CGI is written in perl.

Try to set the real uid then:
$< = $>;

or

$UID = $EUID;

or

$REAL_USER_ID = $EFFECTIVE_USER_ID;

(ref perlvar manpage)

shesh. Perl is crazy :-D

Also, suidperl is paranoid about environment etc, so make sure you set
up a safe $ENV{PATH} etc. And of course, try to run the script from
commandline as an unprivileged user and look for errors and warnings.

Mvh,
Frode