Need 'remote power bar' recommendations ...

Mark Johnston mjohnston at skyweb.ca
Mon Oct 4 07:24:44 PDT 2004

"Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy at hub.org> wrote:
> I'm looking at something like:
>
>  	http://www.wti.com/nbb16.htm
>
> to put where my servers are co-located, so taht I can power cycle as
> required ... does anyone here have experiences with either WTI, or other
> similar products that they'd like to share?

We have 3 of WTI's NPS-115 8-port power switches in 3 remote locations, and
we've been very happy with them.  I've never tried the Web interface that the
one you list above seems to have, but we use the Telnet interface on our WTIs
to great success, using a small Python script to auto-reboot a couple of
pieces of flaky equipment.

I have no complaints about the WTI units, but you do have to bear in mind that
they'll allow only one Telnet connection at a time - if you drop the
connection unexpectedly, you won't be able to get back in until it times out.
I've only had one instance of trouble: one of the units, sitting on a
broadcast-laden network, started dumping garbage packets onto the wire.  It
looked almost like a jabbering NIC, but disconnecting and reconnecting the
Ethernet cable got it working again.  For the 6-8 total unit running years
across the 3 units, the one problem is a pretty good record, IMO.

HTH,
Mark