Cleaning up port dependencies

Lewis Watson lists at visionsix.com
Thu Nov 25 20:10:58 PST 2004

> Running 'portupgrade -a' religiously to automatically update all
> installed installed ports, I have started to notice duplicates in
> certain installed applications. Most likely due to dependencies.
>
> %pkg_info
> ruby-1.6.8.2004.07.28 An object-oriented interpreted scripting language
> ruby-1.8.2.p2_1       An object-oriented interpreted scripting language

> Is there a way to check on whether dependencies on the earlier version
> still exist. Or perhaps I have deleted a port that does not need that
> port version any more. Just some housekeeping here.
> Thanks in advance,
> -nick/

Hi Nick,

I ran into the problem you are possibly about to experience.  Have you went through the upgrade of portupgrade itself?

Check /usr/ports/UPDATING for more information about Ruby 1.6 and 1.8. The new Portupgrade is going to want Ruby 1.8 which is going to throw a big wrinkle in the rebuild of portupgrade.

I was able to fix it after googling the build error we kept hitting. I do not remember the specific error, but it was while working through the issues mentioned in /usr/ports/UPDATING. If this happens look for the specific error that occurs and see if there's anything mentioned about it on the net and fixing it by adding a line or two to /usr/local/etc/pkgtools.conf. I was able to fix the problem by adding the following line while running FreeBSD 4.09.

ENV['PORTS_DBDRIVER'] ||= 'bdb1_hash'

Good luck!
Lewis