compaq insight manager agent - alternatives?

Dimitri Aivaliotis dna at everyware.ch
Fri Jul 23 03:13:51 PDT 2004

Hello,

According to HP/Compaq, Google, and the archives a Compaq Insight Manager Agent does not yet exist for FreeBSD.  Has anyone any hints on how to get disk activity monitoring out of SNMP without using the agent? I've looked through the standard MIBs, to no avail.  (Would ssIORawSent/ssIORawReceived be relevant?  If so, how would I specify the block device, if I even could?  An snmpwalk showed no ssIORawSent/ssIORawReceived, so I guess the generic kernel doesn't support it.  Would it be configurable?)

Alternatively, I could ask the driver to show me the activity.  I know the ciss driver (for Compaq Smart Array 5i on a DL380) reports information to the logs, and I'll get informed of drive fail states, etc.  The driver (to my knowledge) doesn't report on activity, though.  Is there a way to turn that on, perhaps?  There's two interesting debug levels in /usr/src/sys/dev/ciss/cissvar.h:

 *  1 - talkative, log major events, but nothing on the I/O path
 *  2 - noisy, log events on the I/O path

Which (if either) would be most helpful, and how would I turn debugging on (looks like a compile-time switch)?

How do you DL 380 users out there monitor your disk activity?  Do you monitor disk activity?

(Note: I'm already monitoring disk capacity, but that unfortunately won't tell me if my disk is thrashing.)

System Info:
  Compaq ProLiant DL380 G3
  FreeBSD 5.2.1
  net-snmp-5.1.1_5 from ports