bridging firewall => proftpd issue.

Dave Hart davehart at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 03:50:11 PDT 2004

CPU Customer Support <support at cpu-net.com> wrote:
[...]
> Bridging firewall running FreeBSD 4.9 compiled for the security branch,
> and IPFW.  It seems that just as I installed this firewall, a customer
> is no longer able to ftp into our main Redhat machine.
[...]
> It looks at first like a passive/active issue, but, I've
> opened the appropriate ports on the firewall, and even assigned the
> passive ports in Proftpd.  He has tried passive and active modes both,
> with the same results.  Mind you all other customers do not have any
> issues.
>
> Session Transcript:
>
> Jul 19 17:24:04 host04 proftpd[32507]: cpu-net.com
>         (70-240-21-3.ded.swbell.net[70.240.21.3]) - Refused PORT
>         192,168,100,3,8,118 (address mismatch)
> Jul 19 17:24:13 host04 proftpd[32507]: cpu-net.com
>         (70-240-21-3.ded.swbell.net[70.240.21.3]) - FTP session closed.

It does as you say look like an active/passive issue, as you put it,
or as I like to put it, an example of how people installing NATs break
end-to-end connectivity.  Curious, then, that you only supply logs of
an active attempt, which is bound to fail with the previously-noted
192.168.100.3:118 address in the PORT command.

> The ip range that he's coming from was just recently issued by SBC
> recently.  I've also tried opening all ports and ips to this ip address
> for him.  To no avail.
>
> The customer did not have any issues prior to installing the Freebsd
> firewall/bridge.  He was also using the current ip address prior as
> well.

OK, I find this interesting.  I'm a dirty bastard so I happened to
remember that 69.0.0.0/8 was recently allocated, so I dug and verified
70.0.0.0/8 is also newly assigned.  It was a "bogon" until 15 January
2004.