Affordable IP KVMs?

Bob Martin bob at buckhorn.net
Mon Jul 12 09:11:00 PDT 2004

We came up with an alternative solution to the IP KVM. Good, old
fashioned, terminal servers.

We have an old Livingston PM2E, and our servers are set up to use the
serial console instead of a console. The whole setup was less than $100.
And as an added bonus, we now have remote access to our TC 1000 and
switch consoles. (This would work well for a Cisco too, but we use FBSD
routers instead)

There are 2 "gotcha's". This won't work for NT servers, and unless your
MB supports truly headless operations, you can't access the machine's
boot. (Most SuperMicro Server MB's will support headless operation, as
will a lot of the newer 1U servers)

When combined with a remote power switch, and NIC's with boot ROM's,
this does create a really cost effective remote solution. I have even
re-formated and reloaded OS's this way.

As far as IP KVM's go, you're much better off getting a good one. I
managed some servers for some folks that tried using cheap IP KVM's.
Lost time, production and trips to the co-lo quickly made a $1200 IP KVM
more expensive than the $5100 Cyclades that eventually replaced it.

If you're only working with one remote server, a modem and a headless MB
is the only way to go. If you're box doesn't do headless, Cyclades makes
a remote management card for about $700 (retail) that will solve the
problem, and give you remote power cycling as well.

Bob Martin