Recommendation for "antivirus" software (MTA is qmail)

W.D.McKinney dee at akwireless.net
Thu Jan 29 21:19:28 PST 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 14:37, Troy Settle wrote:
> Andy,
>
> I take exception to your statements.  I fit neither under A nor B.

I guess only the experienced walk with a limp.

> I figured it like this...  I could spend $35k/year + to hire a postmaster to
> keep up the spam/virus battle on our mail server, or I could pay Postini
> less than $10k/year to do the same.

I spend even less and just put a Barracuda in front our MTA.
Lovely results, unless of course you haven't tried one.

> I have not the time myself to do this, and $25k/year or more is more than
> enough reason to go with a commercial solution for spam/virus filtering.
>
> In addition, Postini catches MUCH more spam than any open source solution I
> had previously looked at.  It's not perfect by any means, but more effective
> than anything I've seen in the open source arena.

Hard to comment on what you haven't tried. I have received many
complaints from customers who use Postini, so it is as you say, not
perfect, and nor is any any other option. So rather than pay Postini and
have nothing at the end of the day, I went with Barracuda.

WDM
Alaska Wireless Systems