BGP4 using FreeBSD

Roman Volf volfman at keystreams.com
Sat Jan 24 18:25:44 PST 2004

Kurt Jaeger wrote:

>Hi!
>

>>When building your router be sure not to use hard drives, but get an
>>IDE-to-CF adapter and use CompactFlash cards. Less moving parts = better
>>when you're talking about a router.
>>

>We have and had SCSI disks in our freebsd based core routers
>(core.LF.net, core3.LF.net, core.oberon.net) since 1996.
>
>Disks were never the relevant topic. Basically, those systems
>just worked. Yes, they need a little hand-holding, but not because
>of the disks.

Well that may be, but why risk having a hard drive go out? Flash memory
most definatley outlasts traditional hard drives. And if its just doing
routing, a 256 MB flash card is more than enough to do everything you need.

As for the adapters, you don't need any drivers or anything. Here is one
company that makes them:
http://www.acscontrol.com/Index_ACS.asp?Page=/Pages/Products/CompactFlash/IDE_To_CF_Adapter.htm

FreeBSD will just see the flash card as an IDE drive. I haven't used
these myself though, so I can't vouch for their stability. Search around
on google for people that use them in production.

--
Roman Volf
Keystreams Internet Solutions