FreeBSD router on a USB flash drive?

Matthew D. Fuller fullermd at over-yonder.net
Wed Jan 21 23:52:47 PST 2004

On Wed, Jan 21, 2004 at 10:43:51PM -0800 I heard the voice of
Justin Hopper, and lo! it spake thus:

> It took me a while to find a box with a new enough BIOS to be able
> to use the flash drive as a boot option, but I finally found one and
> was able to get to the boot loader.

This would be the hard part; I've seen relatively few BIOSs that'll
boot off USB devices.

> However, 128MB didn't seem to be enough space to do a minimum
> install so I was not able to install 5.1 on it and boot from it.

This part is easy.  I build a custom dist (off 4.8, but it could by
4.9 with just a recompile) for Soekris boxes <http://www.soekris.com/>
that runs off flash; I use 64 meg flash cards, but it would fit into
16 (just not economical to buy smaller than 64 at the consumer level).
And it does everything you'd need out of a router and then some.

Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at over-yonder.net