fsck

Bob Martin bob at buckhorn.net
Tue Jan 20 15:52:04 PST 2004

Tim,
What gets mounted, and where, is determined by the file /ete/fstab.
Unless you have entries in that file for the /dev/da1 disk, it will not
be mounted. fsck is just reading a little entry off the disk that says
where the slice was last mounted... A truly priceless thing to know if
your building a phoenix out of someone else's ashes.

I have seen fsck take all night to run. More over, I've seen your soft
update errors more often than I would have liked. At least one directory
on this slice is horribly corrupted. Unless there are files on there you
just can't live without, (e.g. email that's in the spool, etc.), I would
just newfs the slice, and start over. If that's not an option, run fsck
-y /dev/da1s1f. Wait (all night if needs be) If it gives soft update
errors, cold reboot the box (make sure the drives come to a full stop)
and repeat the process until the errors go away. Watch the output. If
fsck runs a ways, fixes some errors then hangs, kill it and restart it.
If it's not making any head way at all, just be really patient. (The -y
makes it go a little faster)

One foot note to running newfs. While most of the stuff on var can be
recreated, you'll loose your ports database. Something to keep in mind.

Since you have a backup (you do have a backup don't you?) you can just
newfs the file system and restore... I mention this now as it was an
event just like this that drove me to doing regular, complete backups. I
even back up my home system daily. (There is magic server pixy dust...
It's called dump :) )

Bob Martin