Fair Share Scheduling Needed. I want 1/3 of a server

Justin Hopper jhopper at bsdhosting.net
Sat Jan 17 09:35:36 PST 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 21:41, Christopher Lozinski wrote:
> My ISP runs 40-50 jails per computer, and I fear in the near future that
> I may need more of the computer than 1/50th.  They then charge $400 for
> an entire dedicated server.  I would like something in between.
>
> Of course the issue is the scheduler.  My understanding is that the
> freebsd scheduler is designed to run all the processes fairly, but if
> one user generates a large number of processes, they get more than their
> fair share of the cpu.
>
> I think it would be very interesting if one could buy a fraction of the
> CPU.  My processes then get, say 1/4 of the CPU time minimum, perhaps
> more if no one else is using them.
>
> Of course this requires a different scheduler.  Perhaps it exists out
> there.
>
> Some of the ISP's, like Verio, and others claim to offer fair share
> freebsd servers.  Does anyone know how they do it.  Do they really do it
> as they claim to do?

I believe that FreeBSD does not yet offer any such resource restrictions.
I've seen that a few ISPs claim to have jail-specific resource
restrictions, but if they have them working, they have probably
developed them in-house.  There is at least one patch that I've seen
floating the 'Net that will add jail-specific resource restrictions, but
it was only for the 4.8 kernel.  The patch looked to be somewhat simple,
where resource limit fields were added to the prison structure and each
time a process requested any resources (CPU, memory, etc.), the limit
fields were checked against current values.  We've never tested the
patch, so I can't say how solid of an approach this is though.

New jail features are being added all the time though, so perhaps
resource limiting is on the list as well.  Perhaps other, more informed,
people on this list know of some road map of features that are planned
for the jail system?  Does Poul-Henning Kamp have a .plan file
somewhere? =)