Fair Share Scheduling Needed. I want 1/3 of a server

Christopher Lozinski lozinski at freerecruiting.com
Fri Jan 16 21:41:19 PST 2004

My ISP runs 40-50 jails per computer, and I fear in the near future that
I may need more of the computer than 1/50th.  They then charge $400 for
an entire dedicated server.  I would like something in between.

Of course the issue is the scheduler.  My understanding is that the
freebsd scheduler is designed to run all the processes fairly, but if
one user generates a large number of processes, they get more than their
fair share of the cpu.

I think it would be very interesting if one could buy a fraction of the
CPU.  My processes then get, say 1/4 of the CPU time minimum, perhaps
more if no one else is using them.

Of course this requires a different scheduler.  Perhaps it exists out
there.

Some of the ISP's, like Verio, and others claim to offer fair share
freebsd servers.  Does anyone know how they do it.  Do they really do it
as they claim to do?

Your help would be much appreciated.

Regards
Christopher Lozinski