Handling 100.000 packets/sec or more

"." at babolo.ru "." at babolo.ru
Wed Jan 14 16:11:30 PST 2004

I administer some home networks with 200..500 users on port
and 5..12 ports on each router.

The trouble is that router can't do somethig useful when
link saturated. The only effective way found is
2..3 mb/s restriction _from_ every user on each switch port

PS
typical router has Tyan 2466N-4M mobo with one Athlon XP 2400+
512M (a lot of pipes) and FreeBSD 4 STABLE.
DragonFlyBSD looks good but I haven't any in production yet.

FreeBSD 5 is not production quality (last test about one mounts ago).