Handling 100.000 packets/sec or more

Eli Dart dart at nersc.gov
Wed Jan 14 14:16:10 PST 2004

> In our experience, switch to fxp ethernet cards, test several
> motherboards and enable polling.
>
> fxp and em cards appear to have the best performance ... outrunning
> other cards by a fair margin.

Hmmm....we've been using SysKonnect (older ones -- SK-9843 chipset)
and have been pretty happy.  These tend to have a lot more packet
memory than most other cards (this means that interrupt coalescence
can buy you more).  Of course, these don't currently support
polling..... :(

> Different motherboards have several orders of magnitude different
> performance with the same processor.

Don't suppose you'd be willing to post your motherboard test results?
We have found that SuperMicro motherboards (ServerWorks chipsets) are
pretty good, but we don't have the resources to do exhaustive testing
of all motherboards out there.

		--eli