Routing Networks

Isaac Gelado igf at tid.es
Tue Jan 13 23:41:16 PST 2004

Nicolás de Bari Embríz G. R. escribió:
> Hi all, I need some help routing or making Nat on a LAN.
>
> I have something like this:
>

>                   I N T E R N E T
>                  -----------------
>                 ^                 ^
>                 |                 |
> fxp0      public IP           public IP
>                 |                 |
>          FreeBSD server      LINUX server
>                 |                 |
> dc0   192.168.10.1                |
> dc1   192.168.1.1 ^           192.168.1.3
>                 ^ |           ^
>                 | |           |
>                 | |           |
>                ----------------
>               |   Switch/Hub   |
>                ----------------
>                    |       |
>     ------------------     -----------------
>    |      LAN  A      |   |     LAN  B      |
>    | 192.168.10.2-254 |   | 192.168.1.4-100 |
>     ------------------     -----------------
>

> What i want to do is that a computer on LAN A with an IP on the range of
> 192.168.10.2-254 can ping, telnet, ssh, etc. to a computer on LAN B
> "192.168.1.X".
>
> How can i solve this problem, is this is a route or Nat problem ?

I think it is a route problem. You must add next static route:

   - On the linux machine route all incoming packets with dest addr
192.168.10.x to 192.168.1.1

It shouldn't be necesary a static route on the freebsd machine since it
has a network device with an addr of LAN B. Of course you must run a
route daemon in both machines (I supouse it's running now since they are
working as gateways) and the previous route must be added to the route
daemon running on the linux machine.

You can allways check that packets are going by the correct way with
traceroute.

Regards,
  Isaac
|        Isaac Gelado           |                          |
|       Telefónica I+D          | Tlf 983367649            |
|    Paq. Tec. de Boecillo      |                          |
|        Valladolid             | igf at tid.es               |
|   As gold which he cannot spend will make no man rich    |
| so knowledge which he cannot apply will make no man wise |