mini-ITX 1U dual servers??

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Tue Jan 13 07:43:55 PST 2004

Even though on Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 21:35  Diana Eichert
 realized that everything he says
 should be taken 'cum grano salis', he
 unhesitatingly continued with this missive:

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004, Eric Anderson wrote:

> > tony at saign.com said:
> > > Just saw some a nifty dual ITX 1U server case, wondering if anyone knows
> > > how well or if these boards will run 5.x CURRENT.
> > > http://www.caseoutlet.com/NWPc/C147/C147_Barebone.html

> > > Woulds be pretty nice to co-locate dual servers in a 1U slot.

> > Yes, these should run freebsd just fine in this environment.

> You know what I see is the real drawback to these systems?
> They require a monitor and keyboard to set them up initially,
> and really you want to continue to have a monitor and heyboard
> immediately available. This doesn't really make sense in a
> rackmount server, what is better is a serial console that gives
> access to the BIOS remotely. I even talked to VIA about a
> serial console redirect feature and they referred me to General
> Software, http://www.gensw.com/, who has a PXE boot serial
> console BIOS for the VIA system boards. Unfortunately their
> pricing is not setup to work with small quantity purchases. I
> don't know why VIA doesn't create an alternate BIOS providing
> serial console support by default, maybe if more people contact
> them with this request. I would think in the embedded system
> world, which is where they appear to be focusing a lot of their
> marketing, serial console support would be a no brainer.

In the past I've used the little Intel servers and the BIOS and
then OS direct to the serial ports made them really nice.

What current systems support this feature.  These weren't PXE
boots, but only needed one serial connection.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com