Installing frontpage doesn't create shtml.exe

Justin Hopper jhopper at bsdhosting.net
Sat Jan 10 10:52:26 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-10 at 07:46, Eric Veraart wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install frontpage extions for some virtual hosts. I use Plesk
> 6.0.2 to enable Frontpage support for the sites. Plesk runs the
> fpinstall.sh script, and it creates the config files, and a _vti_bin
> directory with a _vti_adm and _vti_aut directory. But all these directories
> are empty. When I copy shtml.exe from the exes dir in frontpage, and chown
> it to the correct user it works. But I don't feel like copying all the
> files for all the domains manually, and chown them.
>
> Does anybody have an idea why fpinstall.sh only creates empty dirs in the
> httpdocs directory of the vhost?

The directories should be empty.  The mod_frontpage.so Apache module
should intercept a request for files in these directories and call the
appropriate files in /usr/local/frontpage/... or where ever you have the
core FrontPage files installed.  This of course will not occur if you do
not have the mod_frontpage.so module loaded, so that may be the first
thing to check.

Check your error_log (both the vhost log and main Apache log, if you
have vhosts configured) for the FrontPage-specific error.  I remember
there was some specific problem related to shtml.exe that often came up,
but I can't remember what it was.  If you can find an error log entry,
that may refresh my memory on the solution.