djbdns

Kenny Freeman freeman at cs.dal.ca
Wed Jan 7 09:28:51 PST 2004

My experience with bind has been less than fun - a pain to maintain with all
of these security fixes and also the file format is terrible. I switched to
djbdns as soon as I found out about it and was happy with a test server that
I setup. It is a bit of a hassle to get up and running, but when it is
finally setup properly you don't have to touch it at all, period. I have been
running djbdns for well over a year, more like over two years and I have not
had to touch it even once in that time. I have a perl script that updates the
data files from a MySQL database. I also have a CGI interface to the db, so I
can add/edit/delete dns records thru my web browser. The djbdns data file
format is very simple and a joy to work with compared to binds. You should
note however that with djbdns, instead of using 2 ips for 2 nameservers I
have to use 2xcache ips, 2xserver ips, and 2x zone xfer ips, and also that
the caches have to be notified of any dns servers for domains that you host -
my perl script takes care of that for me tho. Oh, and another thing... I have
heard of people having problems with djbdns on extremely heavily loaded
servers where queries were getting dropped - in that case I would use a round
robin nat in front of the servers to distribute the load among many dns
servers... my $0.02.

-Kenny