mod_frontpage vulnerability?

Justin Hopper jhopper at bsdhosting.net
Sat Jan 3 22:31:15 PST 2004

On Sat, 2004-01-03 at 20:57, Peter Brezny wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I wanted to know if any of you have experienced recent problems running
> mod_frontpage.

Are you sure the problems were with mod_frontpage or with the Server
Extensions?  I haven't seen many problems with mod_frontpage, but the
Server Extensions often have problems (and they're not Open Source, so
they are difficult to work with).

> Last week, one of the systems I am running mod_front page on stopped
> allowing front page logins.
>
> I wasn't able to pinpoint the problem, however, re-installing mod_frontpage
> fixed the problem.

You reinstalled the mod_frontpage Apache module, or the FrontPage Server
Extensions for the vhost?

> I'm running a fairly current build:
> 4.8-RELEASE-p14 #9: Wed Dec 31 17:15:23 EST 2003
> Apache/1.3.28 (Unix) mod_perl/1.27 FrontPage/5.0.2.2623 PHP/4.3.4RC1
> mod_ssl/
> 2.8.15 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
>
> I get a lot of error messages in the primary httpd_error.log:
> [2004-01-03 23:24:46]: uid: (nobody/nobody) gid: (nobody/nobody) cmd:
> /_vti_bin/fpcount.exe

The above entries are standard notices that mod_frontpage will put in
the log files.  Check the other Apache log files for errors concerning
why logins are not being accepted.