ftpd -r insufficient to protect from writing

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Sat Jan 3 17:27:34 PST 2004

Hi freebsd-isp at freebsd.org people

Has anyone seen systems running with an inetd.conf entry of
        ftpd -l -r
where crackers get in & write quantities of crap in pub/        ?

I saw similar maybe 6 months ago, & again recently on another
machine.  I'm not sure then if I had -r.  Again not quite sure if
I had a previous "-r" on the latest attacked host, (a co-admin got
in before me & turned access off, so not certain of precise original
parameters to ftpd)

Is the standard libexec/ftpd considered insecure ?
Should one be running something else, EG /usr/ports/ftp/lukemftpd ?

-
Julian Stacey.  Unix C & Net Services Consultant - Munich.  http://berklix.com
                Mail in Ascii/ plain text:  HTML is Spam dumped.
  Schnupftabak probieren:  Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !
  Software patents: Vampires would approve:  http://berklix.com/jhs/patents