Cron Job failure with aaccli

Bart Silverstrim bsilver at chrononomicon.com
Sun Feb 29 13:35:10 PST 2004

Hello,

I have a Dell 6250 with the perc3/di RAID controller in it and a fresh
install of FreeBSD 4.9-release.  I used the aaccli utility from the
ports collection and a script I found when googling around for a cron
script that worked with the sell utility.

I modified the script so it would open the correct device and point to
the right applications (the script was for a Linux installation with
Sendmail; I am running FreeBSD with Postfix).  You have to run a series
of commands to create a "seed" file with the default, working RAID
output from aaccli.  This worked fine.  I created a backup of it,
altered a line in it to make a subsequent test look like something was
wrong with the RAID system.

I run the script itself from the shell, it emailed me an alert.
I run the cron script from sh (because the redirect of output is in sh,
not tcsh), it runs fine and emails an alert.
Cron runs the script, aaccli hangs as if the input is getting munged?
the script hangs in the process list and I have to kill aaccli for the
script and aaccli to disappear from the process listing.

I've checked by putting in a cron entry that just echos the shell in
use to a file from cron and it is running with sh.  If I run the cron
script or the actual script from sh (as root I just run "/bin/sh" and
run it from that prompt) they both run fine.  So why is aaccli hanging
when cron tries to run it?

The link to the script I've adapted is
http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/domsch/aacraid/
aacraid_monitoring_script.txt

Anyone out there know what is causing it to hang??

-Bart Silverstrim