PPPOE and radius

fooler fooler at skyinet.net
Sun Dec 12 21:33:49 PST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tim McCullagh" <timbo at halenet.com.au>
To: <freebsd-isp at FreeBSD.ORG>
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 12:25 PM
Subject: PPPOE and radius

> Hi Fellows
>
> Has anyone on the list implemented a FreeBSD PPPOE server with radius
> requests to a Separate FreeBSD server running the radiator radius server?
>
> I have set up such a system as the diagram below
>         |  Public IP
> FreeBSD radius server running Radiator
>         | Private IP 192.168.x.x
>     Switch
>         | Private IP    192.168.x.x
> Freebsd Gateway PPPOE server
>         | Public IP 61.x.x.1
>         | Public IP 61.x.x.10 or dynamically assigned
> Dlink 704P router
>         | Private IP  NAT
>

> The problem I am having is that the Freebsd gateway server is sending
radius
> requests to the FreeBSD radius server, the radius server is processing the
> request and logging an Access-Accept however the FreeBSD gateway is
> reporting an error  No valid radius reply received.
>
> It would appear as if the problem lies in the format of the reply
> attributes.  I have logged all the incoming connections and there is an
> incoming radius reply request.
>
> Can anyone tell me what attributes the Freebsd Gateway server would be
> looking for in the return reply

try to do some tcpdump at your freebsd gateway pppoe server if there is a
radius packet coming in...

i successfully setup pppoed + ppp as pppoe gateway and authenticating at
radiator radius server on the other machine... the interface card facing the
pppoe clients doesnt have an ip address... let the ppp session take care of
it...

fooler.