VOIP/Telephony Applications/Embedded Systems info...

Eric Anderson anderson at centtech.com
Sat Dec 4 04:18:56 PST 2004

Martes Wigglesworth wrote:
> Greetings list.
>
> Do any of you guys have any experience building embedded systems, like
> homemade routers, or anything like that?  I was wondering where I could
> find some good information.  I have the "Embedded Freebsd Cook Book,"
> however, I am just beginning programming, and have no idea how to
> empliment the "out-of-context" mixed explanations about the patches that
> the auther mentions.  Where can I find a good book about Freebsd kernel
> programming?  I am ordering the C book that was written in like the 70's
> and some other books, however, I just wanted some functional knowledge,
> instead of having to wait until I get to page 300 and whatever, before I
> could truely understand the 100 and whatever page cook book.
>
> And also, do any of you do anything with hosting Voice Over IP, or just
> Internet Telephony Applications?   Looking for that stuff too.  I guess
> I am thinking about building a telephony gateway/everything gateway, for
> my home office, as an experimental trial for my production environment.

I built custom firewall/VPN routers for our companies' employees to
connect to work from home.  I used Soekris boxes running on 64mb compact
flash cards with FreeBSD on them.  There wasn't a guide or how-to then,
but there are tons of them now, and there are even some
prebuilt/packaged embedded FreeBSD distros that you can build and
customize.   Some that come to mind are emBSD, monowall, and nanobsd.

If you are wanting to build a truly embedded type device, that is very
stripped, then you'll have to do a bit of programming and hacking for sure.

Eric