swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Mon Aug 30 10:43:42 PDT 2004

Spidey Knepscheld wrote:
> I am running FreeBSD & Exim as MTA on the same server I run Squid as a
> transperent proxy.The server is running very slow.I do have a type of
> DoS at moment.My server admin is on holiday.Amavis and the Virus
> Scanners seem to have stoped working so MyDoom & Netsky and what ever
> you can imagine is loose on the network.I get the following error on the
> monitor continiously : swap_pager_getswapspace: failed

I've seen some signs that squid leaks memory, consider shutting it down and
restarting it:

/usr/local/etc/rc.d/squid.sh stop
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/squid.sh start

You might repeat the processes for the other services if that doesn't help, or
even pretend it's a Windows box and reboot it :-), but the latter shouldn't be
necessary if you figure out what it's doing and know enough to fix it.
Looking at 'top' can also help.

--
-Chuck