Performance RAID setup...

Ross, Chris cross at wcasd.k12.pa.us
Fri Aug 27 04:40:31 PDT 2004

	There are also some potential thermal issues with the 73Gig
15,000 RPM drives.  It has been a while but the last time I spoke with
EMC they said that they wouldn't ship 15,000 RPM drives until they
stopped bursting into flame during test.  Kind of gives a whole new
meaning to burn in.

> Mitch (bitblock) wrote:
> [ ... ]
>
> > One floating consideration is the hard drive configuration and
> > the relative performance.
> >
> > I could go with 6 73GB 15000 RPM drives in two RAID 5 sets, or I
> > could go with 6 146GB 10000RPM drives in RAID mirrors.
> >
> > The goal is to provide a NFS / SAMBA server for 4 - 20
> > application servers.
> >
> > Anyone have any value for dollar comments?
>
> Unless your volumes are read-only, or close to it, RAID-10 (or
> "-1,0") will give you significantly better write performance than
> RAID-5.  You might also give small SAN devices a thought; in
> particular, the Xserve RAID box has a very good price/performance
> point.
>
> I don't have experience with the SRCU42L SCSI controller, so you
> might want to do a search about it and FreeBSD, and/or ask your
> vendor.

Of course the Xserve RAID is IDE drives only to the best of my
knowledge. ;)

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel