Where i can check a log about the last reboot time of my freebsd box

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Wed Aug 25 08:20:35 PDT 2004

At Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 08:12 , our malformed and occasionally
flatulent friend JJB spewed forth this fount of brain juice:

> owner-freebsd-isp at freebsd.org wrote:
>
> > Hi, im having troubles with a freebsd box, suddenly this fbox
> > reboots many times on a day, every hour at least, :(, i dont
> > know what could be happening, this fbox was working great, i'd
> > like to know if a log on the system could helpme to check if a
> > program or process is making some bad things.. With this box
> > i share internet to many clients.. am worried :(. thanks in
> > advance.

> > Carlos Alarc?n

> A normal running system that suddenly starts rebooting its self is
> more that likely an overheating problem caused by a thick layer of
> dust on the motherboard chips or early signs of a failing power
> supply.  You will not find any log error messages about this.

If he had looked more carefully at the log he posted, a good many
of the 'reboot' lines had one right before it that said 'crash'.

So there was at least an error indication, but he didn't seem to
ask about it - just the 'reboot' lines.  Both of your suppositions
fit the problem.  I thought it was mildly interesting in that
at least some of the reboots were preceded by a 'crash' line.

That would indicate to me that it really is heat or power, as
it is inconsistent in it's reboots.

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com