VOIP

Michael C. Cambria mcc at fid4.com
Fri Aug 20 17:37:57 PDT 2004

Antonio Torres wrote:
> At 06:22 21/8/2004, you wrote:
>
>> Has anybody found a VoIP solution for FreeBSD that works?
>>
>> I looked at the asterisk product, but that doesn't seem to do it
>> and the ports have been marked as banned.
>>
>> Any info would be appreciated.
>

> /usr/ports/net/gatekeeper
>
> works fine for a gatekeeper on FreeBSD 4.x and 5.x
>
> I have a system runing gatekeeper interfacing a 3Com NBX and several "IP
> Phones" (hardware and software: Planet IP-100, Netmeeting, Openphone)

On FreeBSD 4.10-Stable, I've used gatekeeper for ohphone/openphone,
currently use SER and started playing with Asterisk to free up the RH90
system.  I have kphone running from ports as well (but needed a slight
source code change to startup for me.)

Versions:  ser currently is 0.8.12, asterisk is 0.9.0_1 and gatekeeper
is/was 2.0.5_2.

SER is fantastic, and is well supported.  I've stopped using gatekeeper
since leaving Avaya, as I no longer have a need to touch H.323 anymore.
  From the comment above, it looks like it still works just fine.  From
what I read, there is a lot of work going on for Asterisk on BSD.  There
is a Asterisk-BSD mailing list available if you are interested.  See
http://lists.digium.com/mailman/listinfo/asterisk-bsd for details.

SER & * work together just fine.  I use * for my PSTN-GW ("media
gateway"), but currently on RH90 until I have the time to migrate to
BSD.  I expect no problems.  (If I had a free PCI slot, this would
already be done.)

MikeC