mail server recommendations?

Arie Kachler akachler at telcom.net
Mon Apr 12 15:38:05 PDT 2004

Hi Michael,

I've researched mail systems myself for quite some time now. We
currently use Sendmail + a custom pop3 server. We don't use system
accounts. Sendmail is showing its age, mostly in the way it scales. It's
difficult to integrate with any database backend. LDAP is your only
solid option, but I'm no fan of LDAP.
We are about to migrate from Sendmail and have considered Qmail and
Postfix. Qmail is great. The only reason we did not choose it is because
most features are patches of different authors and the quality and
documentation of the patches varies. It makes us a little nervous to
patch so much.
So we've decided on Postfix+mysql+courier-imap. Postfix seems to have
everything we're looking for: security, speed, sql backend, no system
accounts, and quotas. We're still testing it, but it seems to behave
very well under heavy loads.
Regarding virus and spam filtering, we are doing it on Sendmail boxes
now, which simply forward to other servers for pickup via pop. That will
not change when we migrate since milter works well and there is no need
for a sql backend on these boxes.
We never looked at Exim. Some people like it. We just never got around
to it so I can't give you any information on it.

Hope the info helps.

Arie Kachler