POP3 but not IMAP

Odhiambo Washington wash at wananchi.com
Sat Nov 29 04:19:17 PST 2003

Hi Admins,

I was reading an article on PAM and something interesting crossed my mind.
I am now thinking about giving services by discrimination;-)

In our setup, everyone can do POP3. There are system users (no shells)
who can do both POP3 and IMAP. Now I want a situation where POP3 is
available to everyone while IMAP is only available to a few specified
individuals. This has been discussed in the following article (though
Linux-centric):

http://www.samag.com/documents/s=1161/sam0009a/0009a.htm

I believe it's doable with FreeBSD also.

I could do this using that suggested method but I am putting all my
users in MYSQL db, but I still would like to achieve the same. I could
add a column for imap_enable for each user to achieve the effect of enable/
disable IMAP access.

Has anyone successfully done something akin to this? Perhaps using the
pam_mysql module or other app?

-Wash

    |\      _,,,---,,_     | Odhiambo Washington    <wash at wananchi.com>
Zzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ | Wananchi Online Ltd.   www.wananchi.com
   |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-'| Tel: +254 20 313985-9  +254 20 313922
  '---''(_/--'  `-'\_)     | GSM: +254 722 743223   +254 733 744121