huge email system

CH carlos at infodrive.com.ar
Tue Nov 25 19:32:42 PST 2003

Hello,

we run an outsourced mail relay service for some ISPs, with separate servers
for outgoing and incoming mail.

we have two double-xeon 2.4 w/4G of RAM running FreeBSD-4.9, postfix-current
with recipient address verification against different maildrop servers, and
amavisd-new + spamassassin + antivirus for the incoming mail.

They both receive around 300mgs/min (which is around 430.000 msgs per server
per day), of which 33% is being rejected, another 33% is being tagged as spam,
1% is virus-infected, and the remaining 33% is being forwarded to the real
accounts. both servers are running on the edge, with very little cpu available
and the danger of swapping when too many outstanding amavis processes.  Use
same hardware for same MX weight, and lots of memory for concurrent virus and
spam checking.

for outoing mail we use several P4 2.4 w/1G RAM, in some cases we had to split
the service into different machines due to different sasl settings, such as one
with pam_radius and another one with rimap. they carry between 50 and
200msgs/min, and go through amavisd too before being delivered.

The mail volume increase is impressive, we had to build a quota control into
postfix to detect things such as too many bounces being returned to a spammer
using one of our domains (this in the incoming mail relays) and a quota for
outgoing mail (which isn't likely to happen if you have business accounts).
These are all perl scripts that parse logfiles in almost realtime and update a
central MySQL quota database: again, lots of CPU required.

We carry all this e-mail in and out for around 250k accounts of our customers.
I know some of them use FreeBSD NFS boxes with 100M NICs on internal addresses
without any problems. Backups and filesystem-snapshots are an issue though.
Maildir makes backup/restore easier.

Encrypted passwords on SQL are a good idea if you need some sort of
provisioning system for your accounts, then you might access them from radius,
then from pam, and finally from imap and smtp+sasl among others.

Hope this helps,

-Carlos

--
Carlos