huge email system

Bill Vermillion bv at wjv.com
Fri Nov 21 16:50:55 PST 2003

Ashes to ashes, and DOS to DOS EAZNet - Eddie Fry was heard to say
on or about Fri, Nov 21, 2003 at 17:24 :

> I agree Bill.  We have about 1200 customers and we are FILTERING over
> 30k/day.  So we probably receive 35k.

I only have about 300 - but we are niche market - only business
accounts - and some are high traffic.

Then there is a ton of spam directed to a website we have.

I just checked of this instant [approx 20 minutes to 8PM EST]
and starting the maillog at 1AM I have rejected 72601 email
for bogus names at that domain.   It's one of those names
that comes up #1 on google based on it's name alone, and during the
height of the dot.com craze the owner was offered $250,000 for the
name.  $10,000 cash and the rest in stock.

I roll the maillog at 1AM and in the past week the biggest log
came in at 433K lines.  Many mail take 2 entries in the log but
many dont.  Each log runs 70-80MB day.

Those logs are at least twice as large as they were just 6 months
ago.

Some of the clients move a LOT of mail daily.

If I had 30,000 user like the ones I have now I'd figure on about
250,000,000 emails daily :-)

Bill
--
Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com