Daily/weekly/monthly output aggregation

Marty Landman MLandman at face2interface.com
Mon Nov 17 15:02:34 PST 2003

At 04:49 PM 11/17/2003, Damian Gerow wrote:

>There's a difference between the system output, and your own script outputs.

:) -- newbie that I am I understand totally

>I can read my own script outputs just fine, and generally write the scripts
>to produce as little output as possible, but I don't want to have to patch
>every single system we've got to re-write how the system periodic scripts
>are run.

Damian I now see your point about stuffing this into a DB; if you can
categorize it into an enum or even set and normalized particularly here
where it may be bound to grow and grow (and grow) seems like it could then
be harvested into a quick daily admin summary email via cron to tell you
stuff like

# exceptions in past 24 hrs
chart of exceptions sources
breakdown by criticality assignment e.g. inetd > apache > ftpd

You could even have detailed report links embedded in the email or at least
on the admin control panel. Hmm, this is starting to sound a like product.

Marty Landman   Face 2 Interface Inc 845-679-9387
Sign On Required: Web membership software for your site