someone using openldap for ~3500 windows user for authentication ?

Andreas Klemm andreas at freebsd.org
Sun Nov 16 02:00:22 PST 2003

On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 09:09:17AM -0600, Eric Anderson wrote:
> Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> >Would like to ask some questions about this if somebody
> >has made experiences with this ...
> >
> Are you planning on using Samba as a PDC for authentication, or did you
> have another way?

Currently I only know little, how people plan to do it.

>From my understanding they want to move away from NT4 PDC/BDC
concept to a more open standard (->LDAP).

>From what I read they need for windows clients to authenticate
a Windows directory server (Meta Directory it was called in 2002
and should be in developement at that time, dunno if this product
name still applies), since Windows clients cannt communicate directly
with a LDAP server for authentication purposes.

I assume this Directory Server can be substituded by samba.
I assume samba can talk to LDAP server.
But I don't know exactly ...

And I dunno that other things they plan, that maybe require
the M$ directory server and which Samba still can't perform.

I was not at the customer at the meeting, I only have it from
hearsay of the consultant who was there ... I'm currently only
digging for informations, what pitfalls are involved with such
a migration.

	Andreas ///

--
Andreas Klemm - Powered by FreeBSD 5.1-CURRENT
Need a magic printfilter today ? -> http://www.apsfilter.org/