Multi-NIC cards

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Fri Nov 7 13:02:42 PST 2003

>>>>> "Norman" == Norman Widders <torquemada at paladincorp.com.au> writes:

Norman> ie I have a 1U, which needs four (4) extra interfaces/NIC's to
Norman> act as a gateway/fw. (6 nics needed in total)

Norman> So I was curious about such devices (the 1U already has
Norman> dual-NIC onboard)

Norman> The FreeBSD Hardware list includes the ANA-62044 64-bit quad
Norman> port 10/100baseTX adapter are there any others
Norman> known/tested/supported/widely-available?

Norman> Will ipfw/bridging support work with this configuration if I
Norman> can find a quad-network card ? sorry if this is in the
Norman> archives but if you've done this before, please let me know,
Norman> TIA!

There are quite a few.  Intel makes both fxp (10/100) en (GigE) 2 port
and 4 port cards.  Adaptec makes a 4 port card, but we had problems
with the one we tested not routing as efficiently as the fxp.  Intel
also bought DEC's tulip chipset and you can still find the odd
vendor.  DLink used to make a 4 port card with the tulip.

Dave.