migrating users from an exchange server to a unix mailserver.

Etienne Ledoux etienne at unix.za.org
Thu May 22 13:06:42 PDT 2003

Greetings,

I'm busy with project which involves merging different mail servers with
differnet setups *transparently* into one "beeg" mail enviroment. One of
the problems I am currently facing is merging a MS exchange server with
thousands of users authenticating using domain\username as their username.

So far I'm considering using postfix + mysql + courier-imap + vmailadmin.
I've based my setup on the following guides.

- http://www.probsd.net/vmail/
- http://www.marlow.dk/postfix/

But it gets a little tricky with the merge of the exchange server.

- Is it possible to authenticate exchange type usernames ( domain\username )
in a unix mail enviroment. If so what should I use etc.
- I would like to do this and still keep the user info in the mysql db, this
will eventually be linked to the rest of the customer db with billing info
etc. which is also kept in a mysql db.

Any hints ?
Has anybody else done something similar, maybe my setup is wrong for this
 kind
of thing and I should be looking at something else ?

Any help will be appreciated.

I've tried adding an account with domain\username into the mysql db but it
doesn't seem to be able to authenticate with courier-pop3/imap.

e.