FreeBSD on IBM x345 2U server?

Ted Cabeen secabeen at pobox.com
Thu May 22 09:50:59 PDT 2003

Tom Samplonius <tom at sdf.com> writes:

> On Wed, 21 May 2003, Christoffer Pio wrote:

>> from floppies (kern.flp and mfsroot.flp), I cannot imagine
>> how it could make a difference installing from a CDROM.
>
>   Well, way more drivers can fit on the CDROM for one.
>
>   However, I don't know why anyone would install from floppies, if you
> have a CD-ROM.  Floppies are slow and hold a tiny amount of data.

Because you have a local mirror of FreeBSD and all you need is the two
boot floppies and a copy of your install.cfg to do a full automated
install.  Many of our systems don't have CD-ROM drives, but they all
have floppies.  Ideally I'd be doing entirely net-based installs, but
the Ethernet cards we have don't do netboot.  :(

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen            ted at impulse.net
Check Website or Keyserver for PGP/GPG Key BA0349D2         secabeen at pobox.com