3ware or other ATA RAID?

Ralph Forsythe rf-list at centerone.com
Wed May 14 22:47:06 PDT 2003

I know FreeBSD support for the 3ware controllers is sketchy, I've read the
archives.  My original plan was to run FreeBSD with a 3ware 7500-8
controller and a stack of 250gb drives (mmm, storage!).  So my alternative
is to run Linux, or find another controller that works with BSD.

Any recommendations?  I need it to work; the marginal "it might rebuild
your array" types of things I'm hearing with BSD is scaring me, and I don't
like wondering if my 2TB array will fix itself without major work.  If BSD
supports a similar ATA RAID controller I'm definitely interested in hearing
about it (though I'd like BSD to just update the driver they have now, so
the one I want will work!), otherwise I may have to revert to Linux for my
database server, at least until SCO sues me for running it. *laugh* (See
slashdot if you have no clue about what I just said re SCO)

Cheers,
- Ralph