Chance for FreeBSD ADSM/TSM client from Tivoli/IBM

Terry Lambert tlambert2 at mindspring.com
Mon May 12 08:20:10 PDT 2003

Daniel Lang wrote:
> in the past there have been discussions and demand
> for a *BSD client for TSM. To my best knowledge there is no
> such client. In practice Linux and SCO clients have
> been abused partially using dirty tricks (like NFS loop
> mounts) to get it running.
>
> Now, our computing centre is negotiating a new contract,
> which makes it possible to get a FreeBSD (or *BSD) TSM
> client developed. _BUT_ this will only be successful, if
> we can show that there is sufficient demand overall.
>
> So everybody, who would have interest in a TSM BSD client,
> _please_ send me a short email about your demand, like

There was a beta version of a client running in Kaffe on
the InterJet II.  It was never released.  The people doing
the work were located at Almaden Research.  It would probably
not be hard to revive (obviously, knowing who has the code is
the laregest part of the problem, so hopefully this will help
you out).

-- Terry