Dual ethernet card

Don Lewis truckman at FreeBSD.org
Fri May 9 21:31:10 PDT 2003

On  9 May, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:

> Interesting. I have been using lots of Intel cards and I have never had
> any problems of any kind. All of my cards are either onboard on Intel
> motherboards or Intel brand cards. I have also been using the Intel
> 10BT/100BTX PILA8472C3 PRO/100 S Dual Port server adapter. It has
> worked very well also. The machine with the dual port card is my
> firewall for my whole network and has been running rock solid for a
> long time. I have not used them with anything past 5.0 though. I tried
> all four ping combinations and they all work fine on the cards I tried.

The packet size problem doesn't show up until rev 1.148 of the fxp
driver, which was committed on February 26th.

My cards are the PILA8460C3 version, and have an IBM sticker saying
these are "Intel (R) Pro/100S Desktop Adapter".  The Intel web site
confirms that the number on the barcode sticker is for an IBM OEM card.
The chip is an 82550GY, and "pciconf -l" probes this card as:

fxp0 at pci0:10:0: class=0x020000 card=0x00508086 chip=0x12298086 rev=0x0d
hdr=0x00

I've got a couple Asus P2B-LS motherboards with onboard fxp interfaces,
and at least one other fxp PCI card of an older vintage, and those have
all worked flawlessly. It's just these two new cards that have been a
problem.